Chapter 1 – Section 2 : Becoming a permanent resident

To apply to become a permanent resident or citizen of the UK, you will need to:

  • speak and read English
  • have a good understanding of life in the UK.

There are currently (as of January 2013) two ways you can be tested on these requirements:

  • Take the Life in the UK test. The questions are written in a way that requires an understanding of the English language at English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Entry Level 3, so there is no need to take a separate English language test. People here on work visas, including those on Tier 1 and Tier 2 of the points-based system, normally must pass the Life in the UK test to become permanent residents.
  • Pass an ESOL course in English with Citizenship. You will need to take this course if your standard of English is below ESOL Entry Level 3. The course will help you to improve your English and learn more about life in the UK. At the end of the course you will take a test.

Once you have passed one of these tests, you can make an application for permanent residence or British citizenship. The form that you have to complete and the evidence that you need to provide will depend on your personal circumstances. There is a fee for submitting an application, which is different for the various types of application. All of the forms and a list of fees can be found on the UK Border Agency website,

From October 2013, the requirements will change. From that date, for settlement or permanent residence, you will need to:

  • Pass the Life in the UK test


  • Produce acceptable evidence of speaking and listening skills in English at B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. This is equivalent to ESOL Entry Level 3.

The requirements for citizenship applications may also change in the future. Further details will be published on the UK Border Agency website and you should check the information on that website for current requirements before applying for settlement or citizenship.


‘Life in the United Kingdom – A Guide for New Residents’ is Crown Copyright and is reproduced with the permission of Office of Public Sector Information.

3 Responses to “Chapter 1 – Section 2 : Becoming a permanent resident”

  1. Fatima ezzohra rhanem says:

    Hi I’m from the West Sussex n I would like to pass the B1 test as soon as possible could you advice me please thanks

  2. Foziea says:

    Legal Associates Chambers Ltd
    They do it
    Contact 07462 367778
    01782 207 341

  3. Basically, rent control means that the landlord can set the initial rent amount, but cannot raise the rent or is severely limited in the amount they can raise the rent.
    As many apartment won’t meet your specific set of criteria, yet they will be zoned to the schools of your interest.
    The sights that greet you when you enter your apartment can really set the mood for the
    entire apartment.

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.